Hike & Lunch at Solar de Cahuenga

The Hollywood sign hike is a long one but not too difficult. The big problem is that its easy to take a wrong path and get lost, which is ridiculous and embarrassing. To get lost in Griffith Park (where the sign is located) is as pathetic as getting lost in Sears. Griffith Park isn't terribly rugged, its in the middle of Hollywood, and its full of tourists and joggers so getting lost is kind of a slap in the face to an avid outdoorsman

After the hike, we had lunch at Solar de Cahuenga, which is one of those places where everyone’s on their laptop writing a screenplay. Like the Hollywood sign hike, the cafe is a gem nestled in a dirty, busy metropolis. But its adorable! They have a wide selection of crepes and panini and most days, they offer a pitcher of water with cucumbers and lemons in it. That's right, lemons AND cucumbers. You're welcome.

My friend and I sat next to an obnoxious and odd duo that I can only assume was a man who was teaching a class on how to be a screenwriter and a young woman student of his who wanted to bend his ear over coffee. Here are my favorites of the ridiculously pretentious things they said:

Talking about his writing style:
MAN: My problem is, I can’t get away from the Holocaust thing. It just heavily influences my writing. You know, I didn’t know anyone who was in the Holocaust, no family or friends but I do have an acquaintance whose uncle was in a camp so its things like that that really creep up in my writing.

GIRL: I had this incredible dream the other night. It took place in a harbor or something and involved a shark and a really strong black woman, you know one of those characters the audience really grabs onto. I woke up and thought, well there’s my premise

GIRL: I used to be an actress, with the headshots and the whole deal, and I did a few commercials or whatever but that’s just not where my heart is, I’m a storyteller

MAN: Writers have to be dark and troubled, that’s what sells. Even in my Sabrina days [I believe this man used to work for Sabrina the Teenage Witch] it was still important to go to some really dark places with my writing. I could see you doing that, you seem like you’ve had a torrid past.

GIRL: I can write really dark. Sometimes I just have to put myself in a bad mood and say, hey, today I’m going to think about bad stuff.


Is this where you see the two of them getting all breathy and sweaty? That’s what I thought was going to happen too, but no. They just went back to talking about strong black women characters.

Despite such eavsdroppings, the Solar de Cahuenga is one of my favorite places in Hollywood to go for a relaxing brunch or lunch. You order at the counter and they give you a number, its very bright and sunny, the food is good, and the laptoppers keep to themselves so the atmosphere is quiet and quaint

No comments:

Post a Comment